How to Transfer Data from iPhone to iPhone
“Recently, I bought a new iPhone 12 because the storage space on my old iPhone X is full and the smooth experience is not as good as before. And I want to migrate the data from the old iPhone to the new iPhone completely. What should I do?” How to move the data from the old iPhone to the new iPhone is undoubtedly a very important thing for those who just purchased a new iPhone. Today, I am here to introduce to you the common and simple ways of transferring data from an old iPhone to a new iPhone or iPad.
- 1. Transfer Data from Old iPhone to New iPhone with Quick Start
- 2. Transfer Data from Old iPhone to New iPhone with iCloud
- 3. Transfer Data from Old iPhone to New iPhone with iTunes
- 4. Transfer Data from Old iPhone to New iPhone with iMazing
- 5. Transfer Data from Old iPhone to New iPhone with Wondershare TunesGo
Transfer Data from Old iPhone to New iPhone with Quick Start
Apple has pushed the official version of iOS 12.4 update for iPhone and iPad users, officially launching the iPhone migration feature that allows you to transfer data directly from the old iPhone to the new iPhone without a data cable and a computer. The migration time depends on the used capacity of the iPhone. Generally speaking, it takes about 30 minutes to transfer 150 GB of data, and then you can use the new iPhone seamlessly. If your iPhone is running iOS 12.4 or later, you can have a try.
- Turn on your new iPhone and place it next to your old iPhone running iOS 12.4 or later. The Quick Start screen will appear on the old iPhone, and the screen will provide the option to set up a new iPhone with your Apple ID. Make sure this is the Apple ID you want to use, then tap Continue. If you don’t see this option and cannot continue to operate on your old device, please make sure that Bluetooth is turned on.
- Wait for the animation to appear on the new iPhone. Pick up the old iPhone and place it on top of the new iPhone, then center the animation in the viewfinder. Wait for the message “Finish on New iPhone” to appear. If you can’t use the old iPhone’s camera, tap “Authenticate Manually” and follow the steps shown.
- When prompted, enter the old iPhone’s passcode on the new iPhone.
- Follow the instructions to set up Face ID or Touch ID on your new iPhone.
- Tap “Transfer from iPhone” to start transferring data from the old iPhone to the new iPhone. You can also choose whether to transfer certain settings from the old iPhone to the new iPhone, such as Apple Pay and Siri.
- If you have an Apple Watch and are setting up a new iPhone, you will be asked if you want to transfer your Apple Watch data and settings.
- Place the two iPhones next to each other and plug them in until the iPhone data migration process is complete. The transfer time depends on many factors, such as the type of connection you use, network conditions, and the amount of data transferred.
Note: You can transfer data from the old iPhone to the new iPhone in two ways, one is wireless and the other is to use the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter and Lightning to USB cable to connect the device at this time.
After transferring the data to the new iPhone, you may need to complete a few more steps to complete the phone setup process. This includes checking the settings of “Mail”, “Contacts” and “Calendar”, turning on notifications for apps, pairing Bluetooth accessories, adding cards to Apple Pay, managing subscriptions, and more.
Transfer Data from Old iPhone to New iPhone with iCloud
Transferring your data and purchased content from the iCloud backup of the old iPhone to your new iPhone via iCloud should be the most convenient way. You only need to turn on the iCloud Backup on the old iPhone and keep your iPhone connected to Wi-Fi, data can be automatically uploaded to the cloud.
iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups only include the information and settings currently stored on the device, and do not include data stored in other cloud services such as Gmail, Exchange Mail, Apple Pay information, settings, and Touch ID settings. What’s more, it does not include information that has been stored in iCloud, such as contacts, calendars, bookmarks, emails, voice memos, shared photos, iCloud photos, health data, and files.
This method is suitable for users who have less than 5GB of data to be backed up on their old devices or who have abundant iCloud storage space. Before using iCloud to migrate data,you need to back up the data of the old iPhone to iCloud. Specifically, you need to turn on iCloud backup in the settings (go to “Settings”> “Your name”> “iCloud”> “iCloud Backup”) and maintain a relatively stable Wi-Fi connection.
The new iPhone needs to go through a series of settings before it is activated. In the “Apps & Data” step, you only need to select “Restore from iCloud Backup” and log in to the corresponding iCloud account to select a backup and keep the Wi-Fi environment stable. In this way, the data migration from the old iPhone to the new iPhone can be completed.
Transfer Data from Old iPhone to New iPhone with iTunes
Using iTunes for data transfer is relatively stable, and the data on the old iPhone can be retained to the greatest extent, but the old iPhone needs to be connected to the computer with USB cable. After running iTunes, select the old iPhone to perform the manual backup function, and select the backup to “this computer”. You can encrypt the “backup” of the old iPhone, but Apple Inc. reminds the user that the password must be kept properly, otherwise the iTunes backup cannot be restored.
The backup of the iPhone via iTunes on the computer contains almost all the data and settings of the iPhone, but the following contents are not included in the backup:
- Contents from the iTunes Store and App Store, or PDFs downloaded directly to Apple Books
- Contents synced from iTunes, such as imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
- My Photo Stream
- Face ID or Touch ID settings
- Apple Pay information and settings
- Activity, Health, and Keychain data (you need to use an encrypted backup in iTunes to back up these contents)
After the backup is complete, you can check whether the backup was successful in iTune > Preferences > Devices, and it will show the date and time that iTunes created the backup. If the backup has been encrypted, a lock symbol will appear next to the device name.
After that, you need to select “Restore Backup from Mac or PC” when activating the new iPhone, then connect the new iPhone to the computer where the backup files are stored, open iTunes, select “Restore Backup”, and select the corresponding file.
Transfer Data from Old iPhone to New iPhone with iMazing
iMazing is a powerful application that can help you back up, restore or transfer data from any iOS device to any other device (PC, Mac, iOS devices). With it, you can easily move data from the old iPhone to the new iPhone in minutes.
To transfer data from iPhone to iPhone:
- Download and install iMazing on your Mac or PC computer.
- Run iMazing and connect the two devices to the computer.
- In the left sidebar, select the device you want to transfer data to.
- In the “Actions” panel, select “Transfer to another Device.” This will open the transfer wizard.
- Select the target device by clicking the check box next to the target device, and then select “Next”.
- In the “Transfer Options” panel, directly click Next to transfer all data and applications. (If you want to transfer the device to another device that already has some data, we recommend selecting the “Erase target device” option, which can avoid potential conflicts with the Apple ID configured on the target device.)
- iMazing will start the transfer process, first backing up the source device, and then restoring the backup to the destination device. Then the target device will restart. Please note that the backup does not include your iTunes Media Library (music, books, iTunes U, podcasts, ringtones and movies synced or purchased on iTunes), so those data will not be transferred.
Wondershare TunesGo is a powerful but easy-to-use tool that can be used to manage many aspects of the new iPhone. It allows you to easily transfer photos, playlists, music, contacts, videos and more from one iOS device to another.
- Download and launch Wondershare TunesGo, and then connect your two iPhones to the computer via USB cables.
- Select your old iPhone and click on the “Phone to Phone Transfer” option on the main screen.
- In the new pop-up window, select your new iPhone from the drop-down list and click “Next”.
- By default, each transferable data category on the old iPhone will be selected and checked, including “Contacts”, “Playlists”, “Photos”, “Videos” and “Music”. If you don’t want any data to be transferred to the new iPhone, just uncheck it. Then, click “Transfer”.
- During the transfer process, do not disconnect any devices, otherwise the data will be destroyed. After the transfer process is complete, click “OK”.
The above are 5 methods of how to transfer data from the old iPhone to the new iPhone. You can choose one of them for data migration. Finally, I hope your data migration goes smoothly, and then you can enjoy your new iPhone.