How to Transfer Files from iPhone to Computer
In our daily life, we often need to transfer files from iPhone to computer. For example, we want to transfer photos or videos taken with the iPhone to the computer for editing, or we want to back up contacts to the computer in case we can’t contact our friends or work partners after the phone is lost. There are many ways to transfer files to computers in the market, and if you don’t know how to choose, here are five effective and simple ways to transfer files from iPhone to computer for your reference.
Transfer files from iPhone to Computer via iTunes File Sharing
If you have an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad running iOS 4 or later, you can transfer files to your computer through apps that support file sharing.
- Open iTunes on your Mac or PC.
- Use the USB cable that comes with the device to connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computer. Or if you have set up Wi-Fi synchronization, you can use a Wi-Fi connection.
- Tap your device in iTunes.
- In the left sidebar, click “File Sharing”.
- Select an app to see which files can be shared in this app on the device.
- Drag and drop the file from the list to a folder or window on your computer to copy the file to your computer. You can also select one or more files to copy to your computer from the list and click “Save to”, then find the folder on your computer where you want to store the files, and then click “Save to”.
Note: If you don’t see the “File Sharing” section, there is no app that supports “File Sharing” on your device.
AirDrop is a convenient feature built into iOS and macOS that allows you to wirelessly transfer files, photos, videos, notes, websites, map locations, passwords, etc. to nearby Macs without sending text messages, emails or using other services or applications (iOS 7, iPadOS 13, OS X 10.10, or later required).
AirDrop uses Wi-Fi and Bluetooth (both must be turned on at the same time) to transfer information, and the transfer is encrypted to ensure security. To use AirDrop, you need to log in with your same Apple ID, and make sure the Mac you want to send to is nearby and within Bluetooth and Wi-Fi range.
- Find the files, photos, videos or other items you want to send, and click the share button.
- Tap the Mac you want to share the files with.
- When finished, you will see “Sent”.
- Find files in the “Downloads” folder on your Mac.
Copy Files from iPhone to Computer via iCloud Drive
If you want to transfer data such as photos, videos, documents, and more from iPhone to computer, and you are looking for the easiest and most convenient way to operate on iOS, then it can only be Apple’s official cloud disk service – iCloud Drive. After iOS 11, Files are built into all iOS devices, and you can easily manage all the contents in iCloud Drive through Files. On a Windows computer, you can download iCloud for Windows to access iCloud Drive.
- Open the settings on your iPhone > find your name > iCloud.
- Turn on the option accordingly, for example, if you want to transfer photos or videos to your PC, tap “Settings”> “iCloud”> “Photos” on your iPhone, then select “Download and keep the original” and import the photos to your computer.
- Launch the iCloud control panel on your computer and log in to your iCloud account.
- Select the files you want to transfer to your computer, and then click the download icon.
Note: Apple only provides 5GB of storage for free, which means that if the space is insufficient, you must purchase additional storage space. This can be frustrating because not everyone is willing to spend this kind of money.
Get files from iPhone to Computer via iMazing
If you don’t like the cumbersomeness of iTunes and dislike the slow transfer of iCloud, you can try the third-party transfer application iMazing, which uses the open API of iTunes, but has a more concise and easy-to-understand interface.
The data types that can be exported from iPhone/iPad/iPod touch to computer: photos, videos, music, ringtones, ebooks and PDFs, SMSs/iMessages with attachments, call history, voicemail, contacts, notes, calendars, voice memos, Safari bookmarks/reading list/browsing history and app data.
- Download and install iMazing on your Mac or PC.
- Launch iMazing, and then connect the device to your computer.
- Select your device in the sidebar of iMazing, then scroll down in the action list and click “Export All Data”
- Select the type of data you want to export. By default, all data types are selected, you can uncheck any data you don’t want to export, or uncheck all data types.
- Click Export and select the location where you want to save the data. Make sure that there is enough free space on your computer. If there is a lot of data on your device, you can also export them to an external drive.
Wondershare TunesGo is an iPhone to PC transfer tool, which is designed to allow users to get the greatest convenience in file transfer. You only need a few simple steps to realize file transfer. It allows users to export photos, videos, music, playlists, audiobooks, podcasts, movies, contacts and text messages from iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to Windows or Mac computers.
Note: Contacts and messages transfers are only available for Windows version.
- Download, install and launch the Wondershare TunesGo software on your PC or Mac.
- Connect the iPhone with the computer using a USB cable.
- In the top menu bar, click on the file type you want to export. We take music as an example here, and select the “Music” option. The music, iTunesU, podcasts, audiobooks and playlists on the iPhone will be displayed in the left column.
- To transfer songs, click “Music” on the left panel, and then a list of songs will be displayed. Select songs from the given list, and click “Export”, and then select “Export to PC” from the drop-down menu.
The above five methods are about how to transfer files from iPhone/iPad/iPod touch to your computer. If you find these methods useful, please get them quickly and export some of your important files to your computer. Don’t wait until you lose them and regret it.